Math 320 ----- Linear Algebra and Differential Equations
Course Instructor: Weizhu Bao
Office: Van Vleck 720;
Office Hours: TR:3:00-5:00pm or by
appointment at Van Vleck 720.
Texts: Differential Equations and Linear Algebra
, by C. Henry Edwards and David E. Penney, Prentice Hall, 2000. The
packet of supplemental exercises using MATLAB is available for purchase at
Bob's Copy Shop, Johnson St.
Materials to be covered:
- Chapter 1 (1.5 weeks): First-Order Linear ODEs (continuing from 222),
Section 1.1-1.3 and 1.5.
Section 1.4 is optional (student's should know how to solve separable equations
- Chapter 2 (1.5 weeks): Mathematical Modeling and Numerical Methods,
section 2.5-2.6 optional (time permitting).
- Chapter 3 (2.5 weeks): Linear Systems and Matrices, Section 3.1-3.6.
- Chapter 4 (1.5 weeks): Vectors Spaces, Section 4.1-4.4.
- Chapter 5 (2 weeks): Higher-Order Linear ODEs, Section 5.1-5.6.
- Chapter 6 (1 week): Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors, Section 6.1-6.2.
- Chapter 7 (2 weeks): Linear Systems of ODEs, Section 7.1-7.6.
- Chapter 8 (1 week): matrix Exponential Methods, Section 8.1-8.2 (to solve
- Chapter 9 (1 week): Nonlinear Systems, Section 9.1-9.2, Section 9.3-9.4
optional (time permitting).
Grading: The final grade will be determined by:
two from three tests (50 minutes each):
40%; three from four projects: 20%; final examination: 40%.
Homework and attendance to my office hours will be used to fine tune grades
at the final judgement.
Schedule of tests:
- Test 1: Oct. 3, Tuesday, 9:45am-10:45am in VV B139 for Lec2 and
1:15pm-2:15pm in VV B231 for Lec 7. It covers Chapter 1: 1.1-1.5 and
Chapter 2: 2.1-2.3. There is a review on Sunday, Oct. 1st 5:00pm-6:30pm
in VV B239 for both Lec2 and Lec7.
- Test 2: Oct. 31, Tuesday, 9:45am-10:45am in VV B139 for Lec2 and
1:15pm-2:15pm in VV B231 for Lec 7. It covers Chapter 3: 3.1-3.6 and
Chapter 4: 4.1-4.4. A review at 5:00-7:00pm this Sunday, Oct. 29
at Van Vleck B239.
Click here for solution for Test 2 (pdf-file) .
Click here for solution for Test 2 (ps-file) .
- Test 3: Nov. 21, Tuesday, 9:45am-10:45am in VV B139 for Lec2 and
1:15pm-2:15pm in VV B231 for Lec 7. It covers Chapter 5: 5.1-5.6 and
Chapter 6: 6.1-6.2.
- Final: Lec2: 12:25pm, Wed, Dec 20 at Van Vleck B231;
Lec7: 10:05am, Thu, Dec 21 at Van Vleck B231.
It covers all Chapters.
Assignments: Homework will be assigned
in each class,
and only a few problems be collected for marking at the end of every
Tuesday class. You should try all the assigned questions in order to get a
good grade. You can also find the assignments on my homepage at the address:
Click here for
This course outline is
available on web site: