Lecture Notes: Monday, October 12, 1998
Assignment - for discussion at recitations on Tuesday October 20, and
Thursday October 22. The sixth homework also includes your first
MAPLE ASSIGNMENT. The Maple assignment will be due on Monday,
- Section 4 (Curve Sketching I)
- Section 5 (Curve Sketching II)
Aides for curve sketching:
- f(x) = f(-x) , even function, graph symmetric about y axis.
- f(x) = -f(-x), odd function, graph symmetric w.r.t. origin.
- vertical asymptote at x=a if f goes to +/- infinity as x
approaches "a" (either side)
- horizontal asymptote y = b if f(x) goes to b as x goes to = +
infinity or to - infinity.
See guide to curve sketching on p 246 of text -- This is a good
check list (not all needed every time).
- Section 4.4 # 48
- Section 4.5 # 35, 36 (We used MAPLE to verify our work.)
Lecture Notes Directory