Lecture Notes: Friday, October 16, 1998
Assignment - for discussion at recitations on Tuesday October
20, and Thursday October 22. The sixth homework also includes your
first MAPLE ASSIGNMENT.
- Section 6 (Optimization I)
- A continuous function on a closed interval (a <= x <=
b) takes on an absolute max and an absolute min. Where? Ans:
Among the following possible locations -- the end points, any
places where the function is not differentiable, any places
where the derivative exists and is zero.
- Continuous functions on open intervals (finite or infinite)
may or may not have absolute max and min.
- Section 4.6 #33, 40, 44, 48
- Section 7 (Optimization II)
- Section 4.7 #2, 5, 11, 20, 21
Lecture Notes Directory