Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science,
Computational Biology Program
NUS Graduate School for Integrative Sciences and Engineering
National University of Singapore
10 Lower Kent Ridge, Singapore 119076
Education BSci, MSci (Lanzhou) in Math, Ph.D (Waterloo) in Computer Science
Bioinformatics in comparative genomics, network biology, big medicine data, discrete algorithms, and applied combinatorics.
- June 2018: A paper of Yan Hongwei (Honors student) and Andreas Gunawan (fresh Doctor) was accepted for oral presentation at the 17th European Confer. on Comput. Biol., Athens, Greece, Sept., 2018.
- March 2018: Invited to write a chapter for a book edited for the
Festschrift in Berkeley for Bernard Moret, which will be published in
the Computational Biology series (Springer) in 2018.
- Dec 2017: A paper of my former student and mine on tree reconcilication was published in J. ACM.
- June 2017: An invited talk at the Workshop on Algebraic and Combinatorial Phylogenetics held in Barcelona.
- Dec. 2016: My lab and a collaborator were awarded 900K by Singapore NSF and China NSFC for a joint project on deep analyses of cancer genomics data.
Past and Current Research Projects
- Bioinformatics approach to reconstructing ancestral genomes (April 2008 - March 2011, $132,480.00). (Watch David Haussler on Video: The Reverse Evolution Machine)
- Rapid alignment methods for biological network comparison (April 2010 - March 2013, $724,020.00).
- Algorithm and computer program for gene tree and species tree
reconciliation (May 2013 - April, 2016, $68,000)
- Graph-based method for transcriptome cleanup (Oct. 2014 -
Sept. 2017, $470,000)
Software Tools (by me)
- WebPHYLIP: A tool facilitating phylogenetic analysis. It is available upon request by sending email to email@example.com.Here is our two-page article on it. Click here to download it.
- TxT: A tool for gene tree and species tree reconciliation. It can be used for gene duplication inference and species tree reconstruction.
Its online server is found here.
Conferences of which I serve in the program/organizing committee:
APBC'2019 (PC Co-chair, Jan., Wuhan, China), RECOMB'2019 (May, Washington, USA),
APBC'2018 (Jan., Yokohama, Japan), RECOMB'2018 (May, Paris, France),
ISMB'2018 (July,Chicago, USA),
IWOCA (July, Singapore),
WABI'2018 (20-22 Aug., Helsinki, Finland), RECOMB-CG'2018 (Oct., Montreal, Canada)
Former group members
We are looking for potential Ph.D students for computational and
mathematical biology research. One can apply through Department of Mathmatics if you have background in mathematics, and
NUSGraduate School for Integrative Sciences and Engineering otherwise
- Yang Jialiang (Icahn Institute for Genomics and Multiscale Biology, Mount Sinai, New York, USA)
- Ning Kang (Huazhong University of Sceince and Technology, China)
- Zheng Yu
- Luo Chang
- Tan Jinsong
- Cam Thach Nguyen
- Taoyang Wu (University of East Anglia)
- Choong Yong Ung (University of Malaya)
Three-year postdoctoral researcher positions are available.
MA3259: Mathematical Methods in Genomics (check NUS IVLE for information)
MA4235: Graph theory (check NUS IVLE for information)
This is my personal webpage. Last modified in March, 2016.