Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science,
Computational Biology Program
NUS Graduate School for Integrative Sciences and Engineering
National University of Singapore
10 Lower Kent Ridge, Singapore 119076
Education BSci, MSci (Lanzhou) in Math, Ph.D (Waterloo) in Computer Science
Bioinformatics in comparative genomics, network biology, big medicine data, discrete algorithms, and applied combinatorics.
- Sept 2017: Invited to write a chapter for a book edited for the
Festschrift in Berkeley for Bernard Moret, which will be published in
the Computational Biology series (Springer) in 2018.
- June 2017: An invited talk on the Workshop on Algebraic and Combinatorial Phylogenetics held in Barcelona.
- April 2017: A paper of my former student and mine on tree reconcilication was accepted for publication in J. ACM.
- Dec. 2016: My lab and a collaborator were awarded 900K by Singapore NSF and China NSFC for a joint project on deep analyses of cancer genomics data.
- May 2016: A work was accepted for oral presentation on the 15th European Confer. on Comput. Biol., Hague, Netherlands, Sept., 2016.
- April 2016: An invited talk (video) was given on the Workshop on Network Biology, Simons Institute for the Theory of Computing, Berkeley, USA.
- March 2016: ISCB Community Journal was formally announced in the ISCB newsletter, for which I will serve as a Guest Editor for three years.
Past and Current Research Projects
- Bioinformatics approach to reconstructing ancestral genomes (April 2008 - March 2011, $132,480.00). (Watch David Haussler on Video: The Reverse Evolution Machine)
- Rapid alignment methods for biological network comparison (April 2010 - March 2013, $724,020.00).
- Algorithm and computer program for gene tree and species tree
reconciliation (May 2013 - April, 2016, $68,000)
- Graph-based method for transcriptome cleanup (Oct. 2014 -
Sept. 2017, $470,000)
Software Tools (by me)
- WebPHYLIP: A tool facilitating phylogenetic analysis. It is available upon request by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org.Here is our two-page article on it. Click here to download it.
- TxT: A tool for gene tree and species tree reconciliation. It can be used for gene duplication inference and species tree reconstruction.
Its online server is found here.
Conferences for which I am involved in program/organizing committee:
APBC'2019 (PC Co-chair, Jan., Wuhan, China)
APBC'2018 (Jan., Yokohama, Japan), RECOMB'2018 (May, Paris, France),
ISMB'2018 (July,Chicago, USA)
APBC'2017 (Jan., Shenzhen, China), RECOMB'2017 (May, Hong Kong, China)
Workshop in Population, Evolution, and Comparative Genomics, ACM BCB 2017 (Boston, USA),
WABI'2017 (21-23 August, Boston, USA), RECOMB-CG'2017 (4-6 Oct., Barcelona, Spain).
Former group members
We are looking for potential Ph.D students for computational and
mathematical biology research. One can apply through Department of Mathmatics if you have background in mathematics, and
NUSGraduate School for Integrative Sciences and Engineering otherwise
- Yang Jialiang (Icahn Institute for Genomics and Multiscale Biology, Mount Sinai, New York, USA)
- Ning Kang (Huazhong University of Sceince and Technology, China)
- Zheng Yu
- Luo Chang
- Tan Jinsong
- Cam Thach Nguyen
- Taoyang Wu (University of East Anglia)
- Choong Yong Ung (University of Malaya)
Three-year postdoctoral researcher positions are available.
MA3259: Mathematical Methods in Genomics (check NUS IVLE for information)
MA4235: Graph theory (check NUS IVLE for information)
This is my personal webpage. Last modified in March, 2016.